Saturday, May 10, 2014

Review: Tarte Bow & Go Eyeshadow Palette

The Purchase 

I know, I'm all about eyeshadow palettes lately, but, they, they're exciting! This palette was originally a part of a 2013 holiday gift set that also included two mascaras, two eyeliners, and four Lipsurgence lip colors, but it seems to only be available individually now. I bought it as part of the set, but it is $38 for just the palette, and it is available on the Tarte website [referral link] (4% cash back on ebates [referral link] and you can get 20% off by signing up for their newsletter) and from Ulta's website (currently 10% cash back on ebates [referral link] and I think there's a double points event going on as well).

The Packaging

I really like how sleek and compact the packaging is, and it's purple! I love purple! The design is pretty, and it's a nice size. However, I'm not a huge fan of cardboard packaging in general (though this feels pretty sturdy as cardboard goes) and the lack of a mirror in this palette is a bit of a drawback - I still love it, but it's not one I'm going to take with me on the go. The pans seem pretty large, and I like that they're square because it makes it really easy to get a brush into the color you want, and only the color you want, which is more difficult with the way some palettes are set up.




The Performance

There are 16 colors in this palette, and they all perform really well! The swatches here are two swipes with a finger, dry, no primer, indoors with a flash. I do think primer improves these shadows (as it does most shadows), but you can still see that the pigmentation is decent without primer. These shadows are really smooth and easy to blend, and they stay put all day. I love Tarte's eyeshadow formula! The color selection is nice, too - On the neutral side, but with a pretty big variety of neutrals. There are purple-toned neutrals, green-toned neutrals, greys, browns, creams, taupes - whatever you want, it's here! There are matte shadows and some with shimmer, but nothing is out-and-out glittery. This is a great everyday palette, and you can create a lot of different looks with it. There are no sub-par shades in this palette; every color performs well.


The first two rows:



The last two rows:

The Verdict

This is definitely one of my go-to palettes! I love the colors, and they perform well alone (and even better over primer). For $38, this is definitely worth it, and it's even more worth when combined with coupons and/or points and/or eBates cash back! It's not one of the more commonly touted neutral palettes (especially as it's limited edition), but it is one of my favorites, and I really recommend grabbing this one while you still can.


No comments:

Post a Comment